The 9th Annual Delaware Running Festival took place on Sunday, May 13th! Two half marathon loops made up the main event as elite runners faced off against the 26.2 mile course that offered a more scenic atmosphere than previous years. The course took athletes through the Wilmington Riverfront, Brandywine Park, along Kentmere and Bancroft Parkways, through the 40 acres, Wawaset Park, and Little Italy neighborhoods of Wilmington.
In addition to the marathon, a four and eight person relay and a half marathon rounded out the festival’s schedule of events.
Multiple beneficiaries of the festival included:
• The Center For Heart & Vascular Health at Christiana Care
• The Helen F. Graham Cancer Center at Christiana Care
• The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Delaware Chapter
• The Beth Tomanelli Scholarship Fund For Girls On The Run
• Epilepsy Foundation of Delaware
• Mike Clark Legacy Foundation
• The Friends of Wilmington Parks
• The Daughters Of The British Empire
As a first year sponsor, Horizon Services and the Horizon Helps team provided thousands of bottles of water to refuel participants at the finish areas for all races and was the primary volunteer shirt sponsor. Over 500 orange tech shirts donated by Horizon Services were worn by event staff and volunteers displaying a special edition 2012 volunteer logo designed by Horizon Services on their reverse.